South Bend 311

South Bend 311 is here to answer your questions about City of South Bend services. You can find information here on the 311 Service Portal or by calling the 311 Service Center.

311 Service Portal

This online portal gives you access to articles on City services. These articles are written by City departments and are also used by 311 liaisons to answer callers’ questions. The articles cover everything from how to report an abandoned trash container to how to enroll in youth sports classes.

311 Service Center

311 is a simple, three-digit phone number that you can use to get non-emergency information about City of South Bend services or programs, or to make a request for service. Residents, visitors, and businesses no longer have to try to find the right division or individual at the City to get information or help.

Contacting the 311 Service Center

- Service Center Hours:: Monday-Friday, 7:30am-5:30pm

- Phone number within City: 311

- Phone number outside City: 574.233.0311

- TTY: 574.235.5567

- Always call 911 for emergencies

How is the 311 Service Portal different to the City website?

The 311 Service Portal is a complementary site to southbendin.gov. While the City website contains information about departments, initiatives, and news, the 311 Service Portal is focused on providing residents with information about the services the City provides. Don’t worry if you don’t know where to start – the 311 Service Portal and the City website are closely connected.


Take the 311 Service Center survey here

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can call 311?

Anyone within the South Bend City limits can call 311 free of charge, but regular pay phone and cellular phone charges still apply.

Will 311 accept collect calls from outside the City limits?

No. Callers from outside of the city limits must dial 574-233-0311 and, if applicable, long distance charges will be applied to the call.

Can you call 311 from a cell phone?

Yes, you can call 311 from a cell phone that does not have a 574 area code as long as the call is placed from within the City limits. Cellular air time charges will apply.

What is the difference between 311 and 911?

911 is the number to call in case of emergency. 311 is the number to call to obtain information and access to non-emergency City government services.

Can I change or cancel a service request?

Yes. Call 311 and a 311 liaison will assist you. You can only cancel a request if you have your reference number.

I can dial 311 from my home, but it doesn't work from my office. Why is that?

Many offices and institutions have complex routing and telephone systems that may need to be configured to allow users to dial 311. You can contact the telecomm office for your company or institution and request them to reconfigure the system to allow calls to 311. Alternatively, you can reach South Bend 311 by dialing 574-233-0311.

What can residents expect in the future?

We’re constantly making improvements and trying out new ways to make City services more accessible to South Bend residents. You can expect this library of City information to keep growing and new tools to make interacting with the City as convenient as possible.