CODE-INQUIRY: Request an Interior Code Inspection
Any person that resides in the city limits of South Bend can request an interior inspection on their property.
What is an interior inspection?
An interior inspection is an inspection inside a residence (single family or multi-unit) or a commercial structure to discover any substandard conditions that would require correction or repair. Lack of air conditioning is not a code violation. It covers conditions under such topics as:
- Structural members
- Interior surfaces
- Stair and walking surfaces/handrails and guards
- Accumulation of rubbish or garbage
- Light requirements in habitable spaces
- Light requirements in common halls and stairways
- Ventilation requirements in habitable spaces
- Ventilation in bathroom and toilet rooms
- Plumbing facilities and fixture requirements in dwelling units
- Plumbing fixtures
- Water system - general
- Water heating facilities
- Sanitary drainage system - general
- Mechanical requirements in residential buildings
- Mechanical equipment requirements
- Electrical equipment and hazards
- Lighting fixtures
- Fire protection fixtures (smoke detectors)
- Operable windows
- Means of egress
- Number of exits
Where can an interior inspection be done?
An interior inspection can be done at any property within the city limits.
Who is involved in an interior inspection?
The inspector assigned to that area and the tenant or someone connected to the property will be present during the inspection. In most cases there will be two inspectors attending an interior inspection.
When can an interior inspection be done?
An interior inspection will occur any time during business hours by appointment.
How do I get more information on an interior inspection?
More information can be obtained by calling 311.