Building Permit Fees

Views: 489

Building Permit Fees

How are permit fee amounts determined?

Construction and demolition permit fees are based on the square footage being added or removed.

Structural permit fees for remodels are based on the job cost or contracted cost, which includes labor and materials needed to complete code-related work for the entire project. This fee is for projects that don't include constructing more square footage.

Permit fees for Electric, Plumbing, and HVAC are determined based on the specific categories of work being completed. 

How do I pay for a permit?

Permit fees must be paid in person or via mail at the Building Department- 125 S. Lafayette Blvd., Suite 100 South Bend, IN 46601

Checks should be made payable to St. Joseph County/South Bend.

If an Electric, Plumbing, or HVAC contractor is pulling a permit, that fee must be paid by company check (in person or via mail), company credit card (in-person) or else with cash (by license-holder only, with ID)

Visa, Discover, and Mastercard will be accepted (NOT American Express).  Credit cards may not be used for County Plan Review Fees or any amount exceeding $5,000.

For all other permits, permit fees may be paid by check, cash, or credit card by either the contractor or the property owner.  Feel free to call in with credit card info. (if previously mentioned restrictions do not apply).

When do I pay for my permit?

Permit fees must be paid prior to permit issuance. 

How do I get more information on permit fees?

The complete Fee Schedule is listed on our website.