What should I do if I have sand-like particles in my water?

Views: 1901

WW-INQUIRY: What should I do if I have sand-like particles in my water?

Sand-like particles coming from your water tap could be one of several things.  They could be calcium deposits, particles from the water main, or softener resin if you have a water softener.

How can I determine what the sand-like particles are?

Soak some of the particles in vinegar.  If the particles start to dissolve, they are just calcium deposits.  Particles from the main or softener resin will not react with the vinegar.  Water softener resin will feel greasy to the touch.

What can I do to get rid of the sand-like particles?

If they are determined to be calcium deposits, you can clean your faucets and aerator screens with vinegar or other household cleaners that remove lime.  Be sure to rinse well after using household cleaners.  You may also need to clean calcium deposits from your water heater.  Contact a plumber if you are unsure how to do this.

If they are determined to be resin from a water softener, you can bypass the softener until it can be repaired.  Contact a plumber or softener company if you are unsure how to do this.  Simply turning off the softener will not bypass it.  You must make sure the water does not go through the softener to eliminate the resin.

If the particles are coming from the water main, you may need to flush your lines by opening 3 cold water taps and allowing them to run for at least 10 minutes. 

If you cannot get rid of the particles or if you have additional questions, call 311.   Outside of business hours (nights, holidays, weekends)  call 574-235-9464.

For 311:

Please forward calls to 9670 for additional information