What to Do If You Have Found a Stray Pet

Views: 165

What to Do If You Have Found a Stray Pet

What do I do if I have found a stray pet?

How do I report a found pet?

If you have found a stray pet, within the city limits of South Bend, you may bring the pet to South Bend Animal Resource Center.  SBARC is open Monday through Friday from 9 am until 5 pm.  If you are willing to hold onto the pet for the legal hold period (15 days) you may also do so.  However, if you hold onto the pet you must report it found to SBARC.  To report the found pet you can bring it to SBARC and the staff will snap a picture of the pet and scan it for a microchip.  

Where can I take a found pet?

SBARC is located at 521 Eclipse Place, South Bend, IN 46628.

Who can bring in a found pet?

Anyone who has found a pet in South Bend may bring it to SBARC.  If the pet is found outside of the city limits, the pet must go to the animal control agency that governs the jurisdiction where the animal was found.  For example, if a pet was found in Mishawaka, the pet would need to go to the St. Joseph County Humane Society at 2506 Grape Road, Mishawaka, IN 46545.

311 Process Notes

Can file a found report if willing to hold on to the animal for the 15 day hold time. But must fill out report within 24 hours of finding the animal and send us a picture. 


If the animal is IN FACT theirs, and not a stray animal they will be fined a minimum $500 citation for claiming the animal as a stray, rather than surrending it properly. 

We need a block and street the animal was found on, all people bringing in strays MUST have their ID on them to make a copy of and fill out a stray form.