Emergency Shelters

Views: 2

Emergency Shelters

There are several options available for people who need a place to stay and have no safe, stable place of shelter. Visit this map to find shelter, meal and additional resources nearest to you.

Where can I find emergency shelter

Center for the Homeless

  • Residential shelter open to men, women, or female head of households.
  • Inquire about availability of long term residential beds by calling 574-282-8700, or visit 813 S. Michigan St. during regular business hours.
  • Get on their waitlist if no shelter is available. Weather amnesty anticipates starting again on November 1st at this site.

Hope Ministries

  • Residential shelter open to men, women, and families
  • Men can check in for availability at 1pm Monday-Thursday.
  • Women need to sign up for a monthly tour and application process.
  • Get on their waitlist if no shelter is available at 432 S. Lafayette (corner of Monroe and Lafayette)

Motels 4 Now | Our Lady of the Road

  • People can sign up at 744 S. Main St on Friday mornings between 8-10am.
  • There is a wait list of about 8-10 months for Motels 4 Now.
  • Check in weekly to see if there are openings for those who have been waiting the longest.

Shelter for victims of domestic violence

If you are a victim of domestic violence, regardless of your gender, emergency housing is available at the YWCA at 1102 S. Fellows St by calling 1-866-YES-YWCA 1-866-937-9922.

Shelter for youth between ages 12-18

If you are a youth between the ages of 12-18 and need emergency shelter, Youth Service Bureau at 1322 Lincolnway East is available by  calling 574-235-9396 or youth can text “SAFE” and their current location to 4HELP (44357) to find the nearest Safe Place site and phone number for the local youth agency.   

Shelter for veterans

Veteran shelter is provided by Miller’s Vets at the Center for the Homeless. If vets present after business the CFH will accommodate vets year round in the main building until the next business day.  It is ideal if vets present with their DD214 or other proof of veteran status, but it’s not prohibitive if they don’t currently have it. 

Can I sleep in my car

There are also safe options for sleeping in your car. If you have a driver’s license and proof of registration, you can park at the Police Station at 701 W. Sample St or at Walmart, 700 W. Ireland Rd. Please let management know you are in their lot and confirm permission.

Related assistance programs

Contact the Portage Township Trustee if you need help with rent or utilities. 340 Columbia Street (574) 233-2126 info@portagetownship71.in.gov

Contact Oaklawn for mental health services. Phones answered 24/7 at (574) 283-1234 x1. Mobile Crisis Team available to come to you 8am-8pm seven days a week. The Crisis Center is open at 420 N. Niles Ave Suite 100 8am-8pm seven days a week.

Visit www.southbendin.gov/support to learn and apply for additional state and local support programs.

311 Process Notes

Contact Carl Hetler if we need to update the article.